[ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Wed Feb 10 22:06:42 UTC 2016

Sam

Good evening; so when the ITU or UN is discussing critical Internet resources we (as staff) should not be involved?

From: <ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of Sam Lanfranco <sam at lanfranco.net<mailto:sam at lanfranco.net>>
Date: Wednesday 10 February 2016 21:35
To: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com<mailto:ocl at gih.com>>, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com<mailto:farzaneh.badii at gmail.com>>
Cc: ccwg <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>>
Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016

>From my perspective there are two issues here, one a dead issue and another one that has not really been put on the ICANN table yet, nor is it obvious that it should be put on the ICANN table.

Several quarters, inside and outside ICANN, were concerned with regard to the extent to which Fadi, as ICANN CEO, was or was not exceeding his CEO terms of reference in some of the NetMundial/WEF and Wuzhen activities. There may be lessons to be learned from that with regard to Board decision transparency and CEO terms-of-reference, but those activities are pretty much a dead issue with the departure of Fadi, unless we discover that commitments were made on the behalf of ICANN and without the knowledge of ICANN.

The other issue, i.e., to what extend should ICANN be engaged with, or not engaged with, such initiatives and activities as a newish NetMundial, WEF, IGF, Wuzhan, WSIS+10, etc., is a separate issue. Individual stakeholders within ICANN, as stakeholders within the global Internet ecosystem, are of course free to engage when and where they wish. ICANN entities, and individuals as ICANN office holders or staff, may not  engage in their capacity as office holders or as staff, unless explicitly authorized to do so on specific tasks.

Whether ICANN itself should be engaged is a separate issue. I think it should not. ICANN does not own its constituencies and other engagement should be constituency driven from within the global Internet ecosystem.

This does not prevent the exchange of information within ICANN about and around such initiatives. Stakeholders and stakeholder groups benefit from knowing what is going on and who is doing what, and where, across relevant parts of the ICANN ecosystem. It also does not prevent collaboration and cooperation around common efforts where mission and vision overlap, whether those efforts are from ICANN entities or on the part of ICANN staff working within their ICANN staff remit.

The various parts and players here are a bit like planets in a solar system. They are independent entities in motion, but their proximity means they influence each others movement, while they remain independent entities.
Unlike planets, the players and entities are alive, watching, and capable of joint and independent strategic effort.

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
NPOC Policy Committee