[ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Thu Feb 11 09:17:32 UTC 2016

Hi Nigel

Not to be pedantic, but does that mean that ICANN had nothing to do with
their trips - did not pay for their travel, stay or reimburse in any way
their expenses?  If they spoke did they speak in their personal capacity
or as a member of the Board of ICANN?  Was there any ICANN staff
support, etc.?

Thanks.

Matthew

On 11/02/2016 00:31, Nigel Hickson wrote:
> Good evening
>
> Just for clarification (and not opining on the agenda of the public IG
> session) there were two Board members (in addition to Fadi Chehade)
> present at Wuzhen Conference; George Sadowsky and Rinalia Abdul Rahim.
>  Both were there in a personal capacity.
>
> Best
>
> Nigel
>

> From: <ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org
> <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of
> Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com <mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>>
> Date: Wednesday 10 February 2016 17:01
> To: William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>>,
> Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com <mailto:ocl at gih.com>>
> Cc: ccwg <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
> <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>>
> Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016
>
> thanks, Bill.
>
> As to Wolfgang speaking -- was he at Wuzan Conference? As he is  also
> a Board member of ICANN and a co author of your paper on
> fragmentation, and has spoken many many time, as Farzaneh noted, maybe
> we look further.
>
> But more importantly, as a Board member, he may be obliged to defend
> Fadi, should the issue of Fadi's separate meetings come up during the
> session.
>
> Was there anyone there from the community at the Conference, as just
> an attendee? I saw a few folks who were attending not associated with
> ICANN.
>
> I should have thought about this on our call, but doesn't the SSAC
> have a paper on blocking? Adding in a SSAC speaker might also be a
> very useful addition.

> > From:wjdrake at gmail.com <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:05:49 +0100
> > To: ocl at gih.com <mailto:ocl at gih.com>
> > CC: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
> <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
> > Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016
> >
> > Hi Olivier
> >
> > On this piece,
> >
> > > On Feb 10, 2016, at 01:11, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com
> <mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > 3. Discussion about Fragmentation vs. Openness (30 minutes)
> > >
> > > This is a discussion about Internet fragmentation in the context of
> > > ICANN.
> >
> > Suggest the framing be fragmentation a] generally, for context of
> the discussion, and b] re: names and numbers, and ICANN’s
> contributions to mitigating/managing.
> >
> > The text below relates only to b] but the inputs you mention pertain
> to a]. So perhaps balance across.
> >
> > > As we know, there has been concern about the single root, about
> > > universal acceptance of IDN ad other new gTLDs, about demands for
> > > Country Internet Registries, amongst a lot of other things.
> >
> > One of the things worth flagging here might be blocking?
> >
> > > This part of
> [...]

Matthew Shears | Director, Global Internet Policy & Human Rights Project
Center for Democracy & Technology | cdt.org
E: mshears at cdt.org | T: +44.771.247.2987

CDT's Annual Dinner, Tech Prom, is April 6, 2016. Don't miss out - register at cdt.org/annual-dinner.

---