[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG Internet Governance Public Session in Marrakech

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:26:54 UTC 2016

COMMENTS IN CAPS BELOW.

To: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
From: ocl at gih.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:29:34 +0100
Subject: [ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG Internet Governance Public Session	in Marrakech

    Hello all,

    I have read through the previous thread with much interest and
    consciously refrained from posting in order to see where the thread
    goes. I am a little concerned we started mixing the Public session
    & the WG F2F session, so let's discuss them separately.

    Public Session

    I had proposed:

    Proposed Public Session in Marrakech (75 minutes total time)

    Thursday morning @ 09.00

      1. GAC High Level meeting takeaway (5 minutes)

      [ This is just going to be a quick summary of the results of the
      GAC

      High Level meeting that took place on the Monday of the meeting.
      GAC

      Chair has confirmed someone from GAC Leadership can do the 5
      minute

      summary - focussing on any topic relating to Internet Governance
      which

      the High Level Meeting has addressed.]

    I see much opposition to these 5 minutes as being time where people
    will be talked at. Perhaps should we drop this? People who are
    interested in GAC matters could attend the GAC HLM a few days
    earlier.

PROVIDING A 5 MINUTE UPDATE ON GAC HIGH LEVEL DOES NOT EQUATE TO BEING TALKED AT. :-)IN FACT, BY AGREEING TO SPEAK, THE GAC REP WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE TO TAKE QUESTIONS FROM THE ATTENDEES.
MANY PEOPLE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE GAC HLM DUE TO OTHER COMMITMENTS, OR JUST LACK OF OPPORTUNITY.
THE GAC IS A LEGITIMATE PART OF THE COMMUNITIES OF ICANN.  \
FIVE MINUTES FOR AN UPDATE SEEMS QUITE REASONABLE.

    2. The WSIS+10 process (30 minutes)

      a. main outcomes

      b. what to look out for in the future

      This session will focus primarily on the future challenges.
      Panellists

      will provide a bit of background but it is hoped this is not just
      going

      to be an uninspired "update session".

      Proposed Panellists:

      Hana AlHashimi - speaking about the SDGs

      Peter Major - speaking about CSTD's Enhanced Cooperation

      Chengetai Masango - speaking about IGF extension

    I have so far contacted Ms. Al Hashimi but gotten no reply, so we
    might need to find an alternate. I'll contact the two other
    potential panellists shortly.

    Seeing that we want to facilitate an open floor discussion on this
    topic I suggest we do NOT add any more people to this list. 3
    speakers is enough.
AND WE CAN ASK THEM TO LIMIT THEIR COMMENTS TO 3-5 MIN EACH, AND INVITE HANA TO PROVIDE A VIDEO STATEMENT IF NOT AVAILABLE IN PERSON. THEN TAHT LEAVES 15 MINUTES FOR INTERACTION FROM PARTICIPANTS IN THE ROOM.

    3. Discussion about Fragmentation vs. Openness
      (40 minutes)

      This is a discussion about Internet fragmentation in the context
      of

      ICANN. As we know, there has been concern about the single root,
      about

      universal acceptance of IDN ad other new gTLDs, about demands for

      Country Internet Registries, amongst a lot of other things. This
      part of

      the session is aimed at stimulating a good discussion about these
      issues

      in the ICANN Community. Several inputs are proposed to trigger
      discussions, framing;

      a] generally, for context of the discussion, and

      b] re: names and numbers, and ICANN’s contributions to
      mitigating/managing.

      Inputs:

      WEF - fragmentation paper (Bill Drake?) NUMBER OF MIN?

      OECD [debate\ on this topic - with possible topics of discussions in
      the

      forthcoming meeting in Cancun. (Presented by who?) NUMBER OF MIN?

      The process of the World Internet Conference (WIC), Wuzhen Summit

      (Suggested: Rinalia Abdul Rahim) NUMBER OF MIN?
BOARD MEMBERS WERE FUNDED TO ATTEND THIS CONFERENCE WHICH IMPLIES THAT ICANN BOARD IS OFFICIALLY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONFERENCE, BUT THE SPEAKER AND OFFICIAL PARTICIPANT WAS THE CEO/PRESIDENT, AND ICANN STAFF. I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED THAT A SINGLE BOARD MEMBER IS BEING SINGLED OUT/PERHAPS BOTH SHOULD SHOW UP, AS WELL AS ICANN STAFF, WHO CAN EXPLAIN ICANN'S OFFICIAL PARTICIPATION, VERSUS BOARD MEMBERS WHO WERE FUNDED TO TRAVEL AND ATTEND, BUT ARE NOT OFFICIALLY REPRESENTING ICANN.

      Other Contexts in the names and numbers (Suggested: Avri Doria) NUMBER OF MIN? IF YOU MEAN FRAGMENTATION CONCERNS,  I  MIGHT RECOMMEND  SOMEONE FROM THE IAB OR RS COMMUNITY IN THAT CASE OR PATRICK FALSTROM, SSAC TO JOIN THIS SEGMENT.THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT AND ADDRESS THE SSR IMPLICATIONS OF THE FRAGMENTATION DISCUSSION. AND BE RELATIVELY NEWER FACE/PERSPECTIVE.

    But this means we have 7 speakers (plus moderator(s)) for a 75
    minute session. I am feeling rather unhappy to have that many
    speakers, especially in the light of the comments made by Bill, Sam,
    Farzaneh, that the session risks being yet another unproductive
    session same old same old talking "at" people.

I UNDERSTAND THAT SOME IN THE CCWG-IG ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT TOO MANY SPEAKERS, BUT  OTHERS ARE SUGGESTING THAT INFORMATIONAL ASPECTS ARE VALUABLE. THIS IS A BALANCING ACT.
IF THE 7 SPEAKERS ALL LIMIT THEMSELVES TO 3-5 MIN, THEN YOU HAVE ONLY 35 MIN OF STATEMENTS AND PLENTY OF TIME FOR PARTICIPANT QUESTIONS AND ENGAGEMENT.
ALSO, WE MAY BE LOSING HANA, WHO MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN THE END. I JUST SAW PETER AND HE NOTED HE COULD SPEAK PROBABLY IN LESS THAN 5 MIN.

    Should we cull the list of invitees and have the ones we keep
    comment on both parts of the session? This way: less time for
    panellists professing. More time for audience participation and
    discussion?
WHILE SOME OF US MAY BE OVERLY BORED WITH EACH OTHER AS WE SEE EACH OTHER, TALK OVER AND OVER, THE ROOM IS NOT FILLED WITH US. IT IS FILLED WITH NEWCOMERS AND THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW, AND HAVE LESS ACCESS THAN WE HAVE.
OUR BIGGER CHALLENGES IS ALWAYS, IN MY VIEW, THT WE ARE NOT GETTING OPTIMAL TIME SLOTS FOR OUR SESSION, AND WE ARE LIMITED OFTEN TO 75 MIN, WHEN 90 MINUTES IS MUCH MORE WHAT IS NEEDED.
COMPLAINING THAT WE HAVE HEARD EACH OTHER IS NON PRODUCTIVE. LET'S DO SOMETHING SO THAT WE CAN RECRUIT BROADER ATTENDANCE, THEN THE SAME OLD/SAME OLD IS ACTUALLY NEW AGAIN.
OF COURSE, WE CAN JUST COMPLAIN: IT IS JUST US, IT IS JUST US. OR WE CAN 'MARKET' THE TOPIC, ENCOURAGE BROADER ATTENDANCE, AND MAKE THE SESSION REALLY WELL AND DIVERSELY ATTENDED.
GUESS WHAT GETS MY VOTE?