[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG Internet Governance Mailing List Participation

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Feb 21 09:30:57 UTC 2016

Dear Greg,

thank you for your kind email and for your concern regarding the recent
incident on this mailing list. The co-Chairs of the CCWG IG have
discussed your request and have convened to follow a course of action
which involves placing postings from Ron Baione under manual moderation
until further notice.

On behalf of the co-Chairs, I would like to take this opportunity to
respond to the points you are making in your email. The working group's
Charter indeed mentions "participants" and "observers". However, in
light of the membership rules of the CWG Stewardship and CCWG
Accountability which were created shortly after the CCWG Internet
Governance, the working group co-Chairs contacted all SOs and ACs and
asked a non objection to the interpretation of the charter as follows:

--- quoting email to GNSO Chair ---

Dear Jonathan,

In order to complete the transition of the Cross-Community Working Group
Internet Governance (CCWG IG) to a fully chartered CCWG, we seek your
non objection on an interpretation of the section on observers in the
CCWG IG charter to mean: "In addition, the CCWG-IG will be open to any
interested person as a participant. Participants may be from a
chartering organization, from a stakeholder group not represented in the
CCWG-IG, or may be self-appointed. Participants will be able to actively
participate in and attend all CCWG-IG meetings, work groups and sub-work
groups. However, should there be a need for a consensus call or
decision, such consensus call or decision will be limited to CCWG-IG
members appointed by the chartering organizations.”

If you agree, could be so kind to convey the “no-objection” to us?

Jordan Carter (ccNSO), Olivier Crepin-Leblond (ALAC), and Rafik Danmak
(GNSO)

Co-Chairs of the CCWG IG

---- cut here ---

The response from Chartering SOs and ACs was positive. As a result, the
working group membership is not as tightly controlled as you describe in
your message.

However, the need for SOIs is unchanged and the above named individual's
SOI is so devoid of information, it is quite likely, not valid as a SOI.

The co-Chairs of the CCWG IG have asked our support Staff to put
together a list of all participants in the working group, as currently
subscribed to the mailing list. We will then be able to follow-up with
any participants having not submitted a SOI. It is our belief that the
working group has benefited from the interpretation of the charter as
given above and would therefore not recommend reverting to a stricter
interpretation.

Kindest regards,

Youg-Eum Lee (ccNSO), Rafik Dammak (GNSO), Olivier Crépin-Leblond (ALAC)
Co-Chairs of the CCWG-IG