[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG Internet Governance Public Session in Marrakech

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 11:25:23 UTC 2016

Hi

I need to be on a different call at the time of the next CCWIG meeting, so a couple comments here.

Per previous I think it’s uncomfortable to debate the perceived ‘fit’ or lack thereof of potential speakers/panelists/discussionleaders/firestarters on a mail list with 185 readers, it doesn’t quite seem fair to the people whose names are being bandied about, especially if they’re not subscribed.  In the future we might want to consider establishing a subcommittee to deal with this more appropriately.  But it may be that there is not time for this re: Marrakech, so:

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 19:29, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> 1. GAC High Level meeting takeaway (5 minutes)

I agree with Marilyn that five minutes would be good, with any questions held to the WSIS segment.

> 2. The WSIS+10 process (30 minutes)
> a. main outcomes
> b. what to look out for in the future
>
> Proposed Panellists:
> Hana AlHashimi - speaking about the SDGs
> Peter Major - speaking about CSTD's Enhanced Cooperation
> Chengetai Masango - speaking about IGF extension
>
> I have so far contacted Ms. Al Hashimi but gotten no reply, so we might need to find an alternate. I'll contact the two other potential panellists shortly.
> Seeing that we want to facilitate an open floor discussion on this topic I suggest we do NOT add any more people to this list. 3 speakers is enough.

Agree on 3 max for each of the two segments.  If Hana is not available perhaps there’s someone else from the region who can do five minutes on the relevance to ICANN’s mission and activities of the WSIS+10 outcome and the SDGs. Perhaps Manal Ismail would be available, or one of the Moroccan reps if they’ve been involved…a woman would be preferable alongside Peter and Chengetai.

> 3. Discussion about Fragmentation vs. Openness (40 minutes)
>
> WEF - fragmentation paper (Bill Drake?)
> OECD debate on this topic - with possible topics of discussions in the
> forthcoming meeting in Cancun. (Presented by who?)
> The process of the World Internet Conference (WIC), Wuzhen Summit
> (Suggested: Rinalia Abdul Rahim)
> Other Contexts in the names and numbers (Suggested: Avri Doria)

If the focus of this segment is supposed to be on Fragmentation vs. Openness then I dot see why we would delve into the “process” of the WIC, or need to have someone who physically attended the WIC.  What is relevant to the topic is what substantively the governments represented at that meeting are doing domestically and advocating re: global governance of the net, and this has been well reported.  That’s relevant to fragmentation, but who from ICANN went there and did what is not.  Let’s not make the conversation incoherent or spin it toward in-house navel gazing.

Again, I would suggest three lead off commenters to frame the issues and tee up debate with the audience.  In addition to myself, I would suggest inviting Patrik Fältström, who’s writing something on fragmentation for the Global Commission on IG and could certainly speak to the relevance to names and numbers.  For the third person I’d suggest Fiona Alexander, as the NTIA is much engaged in this issue-area and in relevant contexts like the WEF and OECD, and has views relevant to WIC.  Other options include Rinalia, Avri, Lynn, Marilia, etc…

Best

Bill