[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG Internet Governance Public Session in Marrakech

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Feb 22 09:40:20 UTC 2016

Dear Bill,

thanks for your insights. Point very well taken for regarding the
discussion about speakers for Marrakech sessions and your suggestion of
having a sub-group is a good idea. I think that our next hurdle will be
the selection of speakers once we have formulated the agenda of the
session at WSIS Forum in Geneva, so let's keep this in mind when we have
to cross that bridge.
Please find the rest of my comments inline:

On 21/02/2016 12:25, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to be on a different call at the time of the next CCWIG
> meeting, so a couple comments here.
>
> Per previous I think it’s uncomfortable to debate the perceived ‘fit’
> or lack thereof of potential
> speakers/panelists/discussionleaders/firestarters on a mail list with
> 185 readers, it doesn’t quite seem fair to the people whose names are
> being bandied about, especially if they’re not subscribed.  In the
> future we might want to consider establishing a subcommittee to deal
> with this more appropriately.  But it may be that there is not time
> for this re: Marrakech, so:
>
>> On Feb 18, 2016, at 19:29, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com
>> <mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
>>
>> 1. GAC High Level meeting takeaway (5 minutes)
>
> I agree with Marilyn that five minutes would be good, with any
> questions held to the WSIS segment.

Okay - re-instated.

>> 2. The WSIS+10 process (30 minutes)
>> a. main outcomes
>> b. what to look out for in the future
>>
>> Proposed Panellists:
>> Hana AlHashimi - speaking about the SDGs
>> Peter Major - speaking about CSTD's Enhanced Cooperation
>> Chengetai Masango - speaking about IGF extension
>>
>> I have so far contacted Ms. Al Hashimi but gotten no reply, so we
>> might need to find an alternate. I'll contact the two other potential
>> panellists shortly.
>> Seeing that we want to facilitate an open floor discussion on this
>> topic I suggest we do NOT add any more people to this list. 3
>> speakers is enough.
>
> Agree on 3 max for each of the two segments.  If Hana is not available
> perhaps there’s someone else from the region who can do five minutes
> on the relevance to ICANN’s mission and activities of the WSIS+10
> outcome and the SDGs. Perhaps Manal Ismail would be available, or one
> of the Moroccan reps if they’ve been involved…a woman would be
> preferable alongside Peter and Chengetai.

Understood. We have received a response from Hana and will look forward
to confirmation of her attendance soon.

>> 3. Discussion about Fragmentation vs. Openness (40 minutes)
>>
>> WEF - fragmentation paper (Bill Drake?)
>> OECD debate on this topic - with possible topics of discussions in the
>> forthcoming meeting in Cancun. (Presented by who?)
>> The process of the World Internet Conference (WIC), Wuzhen Summit
>> (Suggested: Rinalia Abdul Rahim)
>> Other Contexts in the names and numbers (Suggested: Avri Doria)
>
> If the focus of this segment is supposed to be on Fragmentation vs.
> Openness then I dot see why we would delve into the “process” of the
> WIC, or need to have someone who physically attended the WIC.  What is
> relevant to the topic is what substantively the governments
> represented at that meeting are doing domestically and advocating re:
> global governance of the net, and this has been well reported.  That’s
> relevant to fragmentation, but who from ICANN went there and did what
> is not.  Let’s not make the conversation incoherent or spin it toward
> in-house navel gazing.

Understood. I have also read suggestions that we do not put a Board
member in a position where they have to justify their attendance at a
non-ICANN event. In parallel, the discussion of whether ICANN should
take part in non-ICANN events and how is a discussion that we'll
probably need to have in the future, but not during this session.

> Again, I would suggest three lead off commenters to frame the issues
> and tee up debate with the audience.  In addition to myself, I would
> suggest inviting Patrik Fältström, who’s writing something on
> fragmentation for the Global Commission on IG and could certainly
> speak to the relevance to names and numbers.  For the third person I’d
> suggest Fiona Alexander, as the NTIA is much engaged in this
> issue-area and in relevant contexts like the WEF and OECD, and has
> views relevant to WIC.  Other options include Rinalia, Avri, Lynn,
> Marilia, etc…

A lot of good names here! Let's discuss during the call. I think our
panel list will depend on the general direction of the agenda itself.
The fragmentation paper can be a great round-up, then the two other
speakers can expand in some aspects. Which aspect would be most
interesting? I like the idea of a technical component with one panellist
and a political/policy component with the other panellist.