[ccwg-internet-governance] Marrakech Public Session

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:56:07 UTC 2016

Hi

Happy new year etc.  Olivier has just reminded me that on our last call I’d made a suggestion and repeating it to the list was an Action Item. This concerns the Public Session, and potentially the ITU WSIS Forum in May in Geneva were we to decide to propose another workshop like our successful event there last year.

The transcript from the call is at https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.12.22?preview=/56986233/56990080/TAF_CCWG-IG-%2022%20December%202015.pdf <https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.12.22?preview=/56986233/56990080/TAF_CCWG-IG-%2022%20December%202015.pdf> for reference.

The suggestion was that now that we can move on from serial Public Session discussions of what might happen at the WSIS+10 Review, we might consider doing something related to The Open Internet theme, which will be a focus of the OECD ministerial meeting this year, and also would tie together various important discussions happening elsewhere, e.g. the Wuzhen conference and the ‘cybersovereignty’ / ‘national Internet segment’ push from key states, the Internet fragmentation discussion in WEF, etc.  Spun, of course, to the relevance to ICANN’s narrow remit.

Anyway, just a suggestion to get the discussion started.  BTW the session will be 75 minutes on Thursday morning https://meetings.icann.org/en/marrakech55/schedule-full <https://meetings.icann.org/en/marrakech55/schedule-full>.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at https://www.apc.org/en/WGIG