[ccwg-internet-governance] paper on Internet fragmentation

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Jan 25 16:59:11 UTC 2016

Dear Bill,

thank you for your follow-up. My comments in-line:

On 25/01/2016 09:56, William Drake wrote:
> I actually was not aware that this group was only allowed to discus ICANN’s mandate, I thought we were about the broader Internet governance environment and ICANN’s relations with it, in the first instance at NETmundial.  If the former defines the scope of acceptable communication I have no idea what we’ve been doing talking about WSIS action lines etc. for two years since. In any event, my reply isn’t on ICANN’s mandate either, so briefly:

The note was not meant to designate discussions that are allowed or not.
It was just a time saver for people who have very full mailboxes and
might not be interested in our discussion.

>> I do however need to point out one source of fragmentation that is missing which I thought I had pointed out, but perhaps not, and that's search engine fragmentation.
> I don’t recall a conversation about this in NYC, so if you’d sent a note that’d have helped. We don’t pretend to have covered every possible example, just what came to mind as illustrative when banging it out.  Maybe you should write something? :-)

I hoped to be able to find some time for this, but unfortunately didn't
find it. My comments should not be seen as a criticism, but a (late)
feedback for potential future work. Just trying to be helpful.

[...]

>> Third, while I repeat that the paper is very informative indeed and congratulate you again on it, I cannot help thinking "what are the solutions"? I hope that this will be the object of future work.
> As the paper explains, it’s just a mapping/foundational platform piece for further work and dialogue to build on.  Advancing our personal policy recs was not the mission, facilitating discussion among others about what these could be was.  As I said in a prior message, there’ll be a stream of work in and out of WEF in the months ahead on fragmentation vs openness, and as names and numbers are a piece of the puzzle one might have thought some discussion here would be merited.  But whatever.

I am glad to hear that there is a stream of work that will emerge from
this. Please don't get me wrong, I think the paper is an excellent start
that was long-awaited. When it comes to fragmentation around names and
numbers this is a subset of all fragmentation. Has ICANN already engaged
the wider world about Universal Acceptance of all TLDs?