[ccwg-internet-governance] OECD MINISTERIAL DECLARATION

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 08:22:51 UTC 2016

Hi

+1 Nigel, I wouldn’t declare a path breaking global multistakeholder agreement dead on the basis of some blog posts or whatever.  Prior to the OECD, the UN General Assembly took note of the NM statement in its December WSIS+ Resolution, the G7’s recent Joint Declaration welcomed it, and it has been invoked in other international settings as well. In parallel, various efforts will be made to take forward its principles, perhaps to include the new Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation, and key elements of the Roadmap—strengthening IGF, improving information aggregation and circulation, promoting multistakeholder cooperation at the national and regional levels, capacity building, and of course IANA transition and ICANN globalization—are moving forward at various speeds as well.  So no, not dead.

Best

Bill

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 05:08, Nigel Hickson <nigel.hickson at icann.org> wrote:
>
> Carlos
>
> Good evening. The Principles agreed in Brazil in April 2014 are very much alive. They were - after all - worked on and agreed upon by many different actors.
>
> Best
>
> Nigel
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 23 Jun 2016, at 22:00, Carlos Raul <carlosraulg at gmail.com <mailto:carlosraulg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Wow, I´m surprised: some people still remember NetMundial???? And they dare to put it in a public paper?
>>
>> Reading some recent blogs of outgoing ISOC leadership a few days ago, I thought it was dead and buried.
>>
>> Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
>> +506 8837 7176
>> Skype carlos.raulg
>> _________
>> Apartado 1571-1000
>> COSTA RICA
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Nigel Hickson <nigel.hickson at icann.org <mailto:nigel.hickson at icann.org>> wrote:
>> Colleagues
>>
>> Good evening; the OECD Ministerial in Cancun has concluded with release of the Ministerial Declaration.  In closing address the OECD SG called governments to honour the commitments therein.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Nigel
>>

>> http://www.oecd.org/sti/ieconomy/Digital-Economy-Ministerial-Declaration-2016.pdf <http://www.oecd.org/sti/ieconomy/Digital-Economy-Ministerial-Declaration-2016.pdf>

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at http://amzn.to/22hWZxC