[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG call of Wednesday, May 18

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue May 17 16:26:44 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

as you can see below, the next call will look back at the past two weeks
of events happening in Geneva, starting with the WSIS Forum. I hope that
we'll go through the feedback about the WSIS Forum rather fast, as
you've seen all of the reports about the workshop which this CCWG has
organised there - and which had a good success.

We need to think about the future - and policy-wise we have two matters
on the table:

- The first meeting of the "new" CSTD, which took place the week after
the WSIS Forum. The reports I have received from there are that this is
going to be a very challenging group. We are lucky to have several
people selected to be in the new CSTD line-up, so I hope they can both
provide us with a candid description of the week, tell us how the issues
are relevant to ICANN, and make suggestions on the way forward, as to
how the CCWG-IG can help in any way.
- Making a decision on whether this CCWG-IG wants to organise a workshop
at this year's IGF in Gadalajara, Mexico.
If yes, then we need to think of a topic. Some suggestions have been
made to reiterate the pattern of last year, where we presented a similar
workshop at WSIS Forum and IGF, with a slightly different line-up of
people. So we *could* present a workshop that explains the
multistakeholder process & results of the IANA Stewardship Transition &
ICANN Accountability. But maybe it will be old news by then. So please
think about this now.
Or, we could, if the answer is yes, also think of other topics. Please
suggest them on the call, or here.

In the future, we will have a call on WTSA16. Last week I have told the
GNSO Council that this is probably the largest issue that this WG will
need to track and potentially work on (as in, to the extent that we
might need to draft an actual Statement or make a contribution) this
year. The feedback that I receive from many sources is that some
countries are rebooting (as in wash, rinse, repeat) at the beginning and
not only putting doubts over the viability of the multistakeholder model
(whilst I thought that through NetMundial & WSIS+10 we had gone beyond
that debate and everyone, apart from a couple of countries agreed that
the Internet should be governed according to multistakeholder principles).
So we're back with some countries advocating multilateralism, a myriad
of proposals that appear to go head on with what was agreed before, thus
recommending Country Internet Registries (clashing head on with the
RIRs), Critical Internet Resources that should be controlled exclusively
by governments and the UN and more.
We need a stage by stage workplan for this and I appeal to your
collective help to put this together. If we do not want to end up with
another WCIT12 in a few year's time, supporters of the multistakeholder
model, of ICANN's work, or that of the RIRs, need to collaborate from
day 1. This is particularly important because my sources also tell me
that whilst a core number of countries defended the multistakeholder
model in the past, we may have lost some allies along the way.