[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG call of Wednesday, May 18

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed May 18 06:45:52 UTC 2016

Hi OCL

Thanks for this. A couple comments, snipping:

> On May 17, 2016, at 18:26, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> - The first meeting of the "new" CSTD, which took place the week after the WSIS Forum. The reports I have received from there are that this is going to be a very challenging group. We are lucky to have several people selected to be in the new CSTD line-up, so I hope they can both provide us with a candid description of the week, tell us how the issues are relevant to ICANN, and make suggestions on the way forward, as to how the CCWG-IG can help in any way.

The above blurs a bit between the CSTD and the new WGEC, the launch of which was a bit challenged.  But some important things have changed since the last iteration that can be leveraged if there’s more effective MS coordination than previous, and there’s an openness at least in some quarters to moving in new and potentially more productive directions. So we’ll see if people are able to skip lightly or sink back into the tar pit.

> In the future, we will have a call on WTSA16. Last week I have told the GNSO Council that this is probably the largest issue that this WG will need to track and potentially work on (as in, to the extent that we might need to draft an actual Statement or make a contribution) this year.

To that end, let me share the stock part of a message from a friend at NTIA received this morning:

>> I am sure you are aware of the upcoming WTSA this fall.  I am writing to encourage you to share your views with NTIA regarding the appropriate scope of work – which currently includes Internet-related policy proposals, cybersecurity, and the Internet of Things (IoT) for example -- for the ITU’s Standardization Sector (ITU-T) for the next four years.  NTIA has issued a Request for Comment (RFC) http://www.ntia.doc.gov/federal-register-notice/2016/input-proposals-and-positions-2016-wtsa <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/federal-register-notice/2016/input-proposals-and-positions-2016-wtsa> that is intended to inform NTIA’s contributions to the State Department preparatory process for the October 2016 World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly (WTSA).
>>
>> As noted in today’s blog post http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2016/ntia-seeks-input-positions-2016-itu-world-standardization-assembly <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2016/ntia-seeks-input-positions-2016-itu-world-standardization-assembly> and RFC, our overarching goal is to ensure that the strategic direction of work in the ITU-T addresses the views and concerns of U.S. businesses and consumers, contributes to economic growth and innovation, and does not duplicate the standards development processes of other bodies.  The deadline for comments is June 16, 2016.  Please feel free to contact me or Suzanne Radell (sradell at ntia.doc.gov <mailto:sradell at ntia.doc.gov>) should you have any questions.

So if consensus to do something can be found, one initial step might be to submit something for their RFC re: those issues of relevance to ICANN.  Signs of community life in this context might even have positive externalities on other matters.

Cheers

Bill

PS: Note Suzanne’s new role