[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG call of Wednesday, May 18

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Wed May 18 07:31:02 UTC 2016

Good morning

Following on from William’s comments; perhaps I could briefly clarify what took place last week; and what is now planned regarding WSIS and Enhanced Cooperation.

1.  The Meeting last week was the normal annual CSTD Plenary; see  http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=1048 for the agenda and documentation;

2.   The Meeting addressed a number of scientific and developmental issues including an overview of the WSIS UNGA discussions last December and a forward look; at latter Markus Kummer (ICANN Board) spoke in a panel, touching on, inter-alia,  IANA Transition;

3. The WSIS Session also addressed the establishment of the Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation (called for in Output Document from UNGA); you will recall Peter Major had announced membership a month or so back; see
http://unctad.org/Sections/un_cstd/docs/CSTD_2016_WorkingGroup_en.pdf

4.  As is tradition, the CSTD Session also worked on the annual  WSIS Resolution which goes from CSTD to ECOSOC;  this process started on Wednesday afternoon and did not conclude until the early hours of Saturday; the Resolution was difficult to agree as it had to address the Working Group and IGF; with some delegations very unhappy about the membership of the former.   A text was agreed and will be posted on CSTD site in next day or so; I attach a draft which is not yet public;

5. If the Resolution is adopted by ECOSOC (in July) the Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation will probably start meeting in September; it is due to conclude its work and report to UNGA in 2018.