[ccwg-internet-governance] ICANN board resolution on IG

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu May 19 13:21:57 UTC 2016

All,

My interpretation of this move is that it is probably based on a growing
awareness that Internet governance is a rising item on the agendas of
everybody from national governments, to multilateral agencies and the UN
system. While ICANN has domain over its DNS remit, it will increasingly
be but another stakeholder in the emerging larger Internet governance
venues. In addition to properly tending its fields in its
multistakeholder DNS governance remit, it will have to have a strategic
plan for ICANN’s self-interested engagement with the larger Internet
governance playing field.

NCSG, as a stakeholder group should participate in a multistakeholder
definition of ICANN’s strategy but, in my view, NCSG’s members should
not seek participation in ICANN’s representation in those larger
Internet governance.

NCSG’s members, and the constituencies they come from, should continue
to do as they have done and build independent (but coordinated)
strategies for dealing with Internet governance issues in each and all
of the other Internet governance venues.

Given the wider remit of the other venues there are more stakeholders
with clear and present self-interests in the Internet governance
policies that they will have to live under, and greater incentive and
opportunity to mobilize those stakeholders around self-interested policy
issues. Beyond ICANN this is the opportunity at hand.

Sam L.

/On 5/18/2016 8:02 PM, Marilyn Cade wrote://
/
> ////
> /Perhaps the first step is to invite the new Bd committee to meet with
> the CCWG-IG, but we are the community, and I would not see how we
> merge with a Board committee but instead, invite them to listen to the
> community. /
> /
> /
> /and understand what their purpose is while maintaining the
> community's role./
> /
> /
> /M//
> //
> /
> /> To: carlosraulg at gmail.com; rafik.dammak at gmail.com;
> jbladel at godaddy.com; Donna.Austin at neustar.biz;
> Heather.Forrest at acu.edu.au//
> //> From: mshears at cdt.org//
> //> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 15:14:32 +0100//
> //> CC: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org//
> //> Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] ICANN board resolution on IG//
> //> //
> //> Frankly surprised (or maybe not) that there is no mention of
> involving //
> //> or working with the community (although staff gets a mention).//
> //> //
> //> Matthew//
> //> //
> //> On 5/18/2016 3:08 PM, Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez G. wrote://
> //> > I read it Rafik!//
> //> >//
> //> > Should we consider merging the CCWG IG with the Board WG IG? Or
> how //
> //> > are we going to coordinate????//
> //> >//
> //> > Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez//
> //> > +506 8837 7176//
> //> > Skype: carlos.raulg//
> //> > Current UTC offset: -6.00 (Costa Rica)//
> //> > On 18 May 2016, at 8:03, Rafik Dammak wrote://
> //> >//
> //> >> Hi everyone,//
> //> >>//
> //> >> please find below a resolution made by the ICANN board in its
> last //
> //> >> meeting//
> //> >> to create a board working group on Internet Governance.//
> //> >>//
> //> >>
> https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2016-05-15-en//
> //> >>//
> //> >> e. Board Working Group on Internet Governance (BWG-IG)//
> //> >>//
> //> >> Whereas, the Internet governance landscape continues to evolve,
> and //
> //> >> ICANN's//
> //> >> role within the Internet governance ecosystem will also
> continue to //
> //> >> evolve//
> //> >> and will benefit from an enhanced dialogue between the Board and //
> //> >> management//
> //> >> working on Internet governance issues.//
> //> >>//
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852