[ccwg-internet-governance] Agenda for CCWG IG F2F Session in Hyderabad

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Nov 5 09:27:35 UTC 2016

Dear all,

we are just hours away from our F2F meeting. See my comments below:

On 26/10/2016 05:23, Rafik Dammak wrote:

>     2. Discussion with Markus Kummer, Chair of the Board Working Group on
>     Internet Governance (30 minutes)
>     (This would discuss the new strategy that ICANN is taking, if any,
>     concerning Internet Governance. It is likely that members of the Board
>     working group on Internet Governance will attend, including Göran
>     Marby.)
>

> we may go with Matt suggestion if we get some a proposal to offer for
> working methods (as procedural matters) and topics (substantive
> matters). we had discussion with the Board WG in Helsinki and we
> should come back with a concrete suggestion.

I have seen support for the development of a methodology of engagement
with the Board working group on Internet Governance. For a start:

    Purpose of CC and Board engagement is:

    To identify Internet governance and policy issues and spaces for
which ICANN may have an in-mission reason to engage, which are also of
interest to the ICANN stakeholder community engaged in CCWG-IG
    To review and assess relevance/importance of possible engagement
    To agree such engagement, messaging and resourcing, from both ICANN
and the CCWG IG and
    The CCWG IG will focus on it internal processes regarding comments
into such fora, and seek to provide interaction with ICANN regarding
comments into such fora, and seek to provide interaction with ICANN
regarding engagement, messaging and resourcing, and
To engage as agreed and appropriate to any specific event/situation

    To do so the CCWG/Board WG or a subset thereof should have a call
every month and an in person working session at ICANN meetings to
identify issues and coordinate engagement. This collaborative
methodology could evolve depending on needs, but can set a basic level
of sustained collaboration between the ICANN community and the Board.

We can of course also listen to the Board's WG on Internet Governance
suggestions, but I am surprised to have learnt that the WG's Chair,
Markus Kummer, did not appear to be 100% briefed on the CCWG IG
activities, so we definitely need to lay down some terms of engagement.