[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [Internet Policy] ITU circumventing Budapest Convention?

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Mon Nov 28 20:28:46 UTC 2016

Dear Judith,

thanks!

> I also agree that the ITU has no mandate and also no knowledge in th
> area.  They tried to gain traction by offing some capacity building
> money but even this failed as the itu could not follow thru on this
> since it had no experts.
I think ITU was trying to take over (2008 - 2010) when it was obvious
that no other international organisation was dealing with this issue on
practice on the global scale. Except Council of Europe, but ITU probably
decided they were more "global" and thus can compete or at least tackle
the areas that Council of Europe didn't cover. But due to the lack of
mandate and lack of actual understanding where to go ITU's efforts were
rather strange. For example, they published the ITU Toolkit for
cybercrime legislation that was supposed to help developing countries to
meet their "special needs" in bringing their legislation into conformity
with international standards. This toolkit was developed by American Bar
Association and it didn't have much to do with either developing
countries' needs or international cybercrime standards. I can say this
openly - I was criticising this Toolkit at times when it was published
(even co-authored an article about its shortcomings). So when the UNODC
kind of "took over" it looked like a logical step, again, for the time
being.
> Also i had thought that the UNODC who is in charge of cybercrimes. I
> have not followed the, closely but thought that when they finally had
> gotten a new head things would move faster and they would be providing
> more capacity building in this area
UNODC has this mandate. What they are doing with it is another story.
There were hopes that UNODC would take over as a body that will set
cybercrime standards on the global level, e.g. UN Cybercrime convention
or something like this. UNDOC - with this in mind - carried out the
so-called Global Comprehensive Study on Cybercrime (published in 2013),
which as a study was really good and comprehensive. However, in the
beginning of 2013, when the study was published, the meeting in Vienna
didn't approve the UNODC's call for the global convention on cybercrime.
Only the study itself (as a document) got kind of approved, basically it
was like saying "well done, so what".

The reason was, as I said, that countries who are parties of the
Budapest Convention do not want to lower the standards - this would be
inevitable with the UN-led solution, probably. So it was decided that
the Study will get translated into the official UN languages and the
results will be forwarded further to Crime Commission, but nothing
substantial happened since then, at least not to my knowledge. UNODC is
dealing with cybercrime, but more in a kind of legislation repository
and some capacity building. But to effectively set the standards in
cybercrime legislation, capacity building and repository is sure not
enough, there is now a pressing need for kind of harmonisation of
criminal procedure measures and mutual legal assistance. Up to now, it
is only Council of Europe who is taking substantive efforts in this
field (except some bilateral treaties and some EU efforts to harmonise
mutual legal assistance on criminal matters in general).

I think the UN (be it UNODC or ITU) was too late to address the issue
effectively - it is CoE that is really setting standards. They (CoE) did
start earlier and they managed to accumulate resources, knowledge and
broad engagement and leveraged this from the regional to international
level going with this instrument far outside of Europe.

I am sorry if this all goes far outside the IG interests of this group!

...and a disclaimer - all I write here is about cybercrime.
Cybersecurity is a different beast! :-)

Disclaimer 2 - I wrote all this in my personal capacity.

Warm regards
Tanya