[ccwg-internet-governance] Some notes on the previoius CCWG-IG adobe meeting

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Apr 26 16:32:50 UTC 2017

This is a short comment endorsing the core of what Bill has said here.
The multistakeholder model is alive in ICANN, and has some small
tentative presence elsewhere. The ILO has a very structured tripartite
stakeholder model. But, MS is generally little known as a policy making
and/or governance model.  There is little, if any, discussion elsewhere
of its applicability, its strengths, and its weaknesses in other
settings. There is even a fair amount of criticism of MS as being non
(or anti-) democratic.

At our end of the ICANN model, the non-commercial, non-profit and civil
society stakeholders, there is respect for how hard the constituencies
work. There is also criticism, even though we are careful to say that
the NCSG participants represent “the interests of constituencies”.  We
do not represent constituencies since there is no formal
(representational, democratic, multistakeholder) accountability. This is
a vulnerable plank in the multistakeholder ship of governance.  We just
do our best to represent the public/common good.

Whether this goes forward as a panel or a roundtable, I would suggest
that the lead participants spend time hammering out what is almost like
an ICANN Charter to focus the event, and make it available as
pre-orientation for participants.

Sam L.

On 4/26/2017 3:23 AM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> Fair question, Matt.  But from the standpoint of someone who lives in
> Geneva and floats in UN spaces, it’s a reasonable bet that some
> governments and stakeholders still don’t necessarily “know” it in the
> sense of fully believing and embracing it. They may have accepted that
> this is the deal now but it’s not necessarily the one they’d have
> selected if, say, they could have all voted on it in a ‘hospitable’
> forum.  While the case may seem old and obvious to those of us who’ve
> talked about in ICANN forever, to people outside the bubble it may be
> less clear.
>
> One would think that your generalizability question could usefully be
> built into this, so there’d be a narrative flow from the DNS case to
> the larger implications in other IG policy spaces at the back end.
>  It’s notable that the governments that have championed MS for DNS
> have not been willing to embrace it in other issue-areas like trade
> and inter-state security, and that and related questions would be
> worth probing.  (something I’m writing about so I among probably
> others would be interested in speaking to it)
>
> If instead we turned the latter part around and put a singular focus
> on 'MS approaches elsewhere' then we’d probably need to recruit
> experts from those ‘elsewheres' to talk about how MS is or isn’t
> playing out. I wonder if we’d have the bandwidth and contacts to do
> that properly in the time that remains before the submission deadline,
> one week from today.
>
> Could we square the circle by retitling, like ‘Multistakeholder
> governance of the domain name system: lessons learned and implications
> for other Internet governance issues’?  Just a thought…
>
> I’d think the pressing thing at this point is to see who from this
> community actually plans to be at the IGF and would want to
> participate.  When we know what we have to work with in terms of
> talking heads we can fine tune the description to fit the available
> skill sets and interests. A key thing for MAG approval will be
> diversity of participants —gender/geo/stakeholder group etc.
>
> BTW my suggestion for this would be to do a Roundtable format rather
> than a Panel.  A roundtable typically has like 15 participants, so we
> could accommodate a diversity of views from CCWIG into a moderated
> interactive dialogue with some guiding questions agreed online in
> advance.  This is what we did a couple years ago in Joao P, where I
> moderated a CCWIG session on the transition. If instead we pick a
> panel, then we have to struggle over which five people would come do
> prepared remarks etc.  More hassle, less fun.
>
> Two cents,
>
> Bill
>
>> On Apr 26, 2017, at 07:17, Matthew Shears <matthew at intpolicy.com
>> <mailto:matthew at intpolicy.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Are we convinced that this is really that appealing a workshop?  We
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852