[ccwg-internet-governance] GNSO council motion on CCWG-IG

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:49:09 UTC 2017

hi all,

GNSO council had a motion regarding CCWG-IG as result of discussion about
the future of the working group during the last months. We also had
discussion during F2F in Johannesburg on the related issued raised by GNSO.

The motion was passed unanimously yesterday  https://community.
icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+24+August+2017  . It tasks us
as group to propose a new vehicle to replace the current structure in
coming months. Please find below some of relevant "resolved" items:

"3. The GNSO Council requests that members of the CCWG-IG and others
interested parties come together to explore a framework / model that more
fully addresses the concerns that have been expressed by the GNSO Council,
and submit this framework / model to the GNSO Council for its consideration
at the Council meeting mid-way between ICANN 60 and ICANN 61 (e.g. February
GNSO Council meeting).

4. To facilitate the work as requested under Resolved clause #3, allowing
for a reasonable time to coordinate with other SOs and ACs to develop a new
structure, and to ensure there is no gap between the retirement of the
CCWG-IG and the establishment of its successor group, the GNSO Council
shall withdraw as a Chartering Organization from the CCWG-IG effective at
the conclusion of ICANN 61 in San Juan, expecting that a replacement
structure will be ready for approval by the Council at that time."

As agreed in previous call, we asked for volunteers to join a small to work
on the proposal based on the requrirements and concerns we heard. Now, we
have a clear deadline by when we should deliver our work.

Best,

Rafik