[ccwg-internet-governance] GNSO council motion on CCWG-IG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:34:41 UTC 2017

Please add me to the group as well.

I think there is still pressure on the CCWG-IG to develop an alternative
vehicle if it wants continued "buy-in" from the GNSO.  As long as a new
vehicle is also acceptable to other chartering SO/ACs, we should be moving
in that direction.  I think it diminishes this group if it is no longer
chartered by the GNSO, and even more so if GNSO participants are diminished
in their relationship to the group.

The info I have coming back from Council is that they believe that we are
already discussing the move to a new structure with the other chartering
SO/ACs.  This came to me in response to a concern I raised: If we are only
presenting a new structure to GNSO Council in January/February, how will we
have enough time after that to get support from SO/ACs to approve and
transition to a new structure before GNSO walks away from the CCWG-IG at
ICANN61?

Finally, I think we need to address the other underlying criticisms,
concerns and skepticism about the group from various corners of the GNSO.
This is not only a conversation about the structure, even if it has been
largely framed in that way.

Greg