[ccwg-internet-governance] DOA - Digital Object Architecture

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 20:34:45 UTC 2017

Alain did a presentation two ICANN meetings ago, and while I was initially very shocked that ICANN appeared to be "advancing" DOA, the prevention highlighted many gaps, limitations, etc. So, I backed off from being too hostile but did set through the presentation.  It was presented as creating awareness about emerging technologies. I think the ICANN Day Zero events are also addressing something in this area. I'll find the link and post it.

DOA has a limited and quite relevant space, [as I understand it] but at the content labeling level, including for instance in its use in the US Library of Congress.

ITU has been, well, caught up in a strange engagement. It is sort of like the argument of whether Alexander Graham Bell or Marconi invented voice communications. And when. It is unfortunate, but we will need to give a little more awareness to what the arguments are.  And what is going on at the ITU.  Remember that it is always up to member states. And that China has a "special" relationship with DOA.