[ccwg-internet-governance] GNSO council motion on CCWG-IG

Jim Prendergast jim at GALWAYSG.COM
Thu Aug 31 21:06:54 UTC 2017

That is a great analogy

From: ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org [mailto:ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Marilyn Cade
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 4:51 PM
To: cw at christopherwilkinson.eu; Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>
Cc: CCWG <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] GNSO council motion on CCWG-IG

😊

I love this analogy, Christopher. I too think that an in depth monthly report will be very challenging.

Maybe we can take my calendar of scary events[Marilyn's travel schedule] amend it with input from Nigel, and then write a para about each of the major events that we agree as a CCWG-IG to follow, and then we can update around that, on a monthly basis.

You are so right. Most at ICANN are not aware for instance, that the preparatory processes for different ITU events, such as WTDC [World Telecom Development Conference] take place over a few months before, and that is where the countries "FIRM" up their views and statements. If the NRIs [National and Regional IGFs] were to take up issues from their stakeholders that could feed into their country's positions, this would have to happen months before the actual event.  ICANN staff are holding events -- for instance, there is one under planning in the Caribbean Islands -- as an ICANN event, but it is too late to affect the Countries' views for the ITU WTDC.

ICANN has two Day Zero events for IGF and an Open Forum. Nigel, can you post the descriptions to this list? We don't want to fall down on engagement of relevance, while we study the future.