[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Tue Jan 3 11:08:07 UTC 2017

Colleagues

Good morning.  As I think was briefly mentioned on last Call, the ITU
(pursuant to a decision of the 2014 Plenipotentiary) has established an
Expert Group to look at a potential revision to the ITRs adopted in 2012.
An overview is at following link.

http://www.itu.int/en/council/eg-itrs/Pages/default.aspx

The​​ Review (on which contributions are called for) will include, among
others:

1. ​​​​an examination of the 2012 ITRs to determine its applicability in a
rapidly evolving international telecommunication environment, taking into
account technology, services and existing multilateral and international
legal obligations as well as changes in the scope of domestic regulatory
regimes;
2. Legal analyses of the 2012 ITRs;​​
3.
4. Analyses of any potential conflicts between the obligations of
signatories to the 2012 ITRs and​ signatories to the 1988 ITRs with respect
to implementation of the provisions of the 1988 and the 2012 ITRs.

ICANN is planning to attend the initial meeting which takes place in Geneva
on 9/10th February.  Any views ahead of that on the three questions above
would be most welcome.  Perhaps we might discuss on a Call in advance.