[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

matthew shears mshears at cdt.org
Tue Jan 3 11:51:45 UTC 2017

Support a call on this.  Perhaps given the interest by so many
stakeholders in 2012, the ITU can be encouraged to open the process of
review a little - perhaps be open to comments from other stakeholders...

Matthew - - a part of the CS stakeholder grouping that participated at
the 2012 WCIT

On 03/01/2017 11:45, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear Nigel,
>
> I agree with Patrik. In fact, should we mention that should any of the
> ITRs touch on aspect of running the Internet including the coordination
> of the Internet identifiers, that's crossing a red line which makes any
> work, discussion, preparation and funding of such a conference
> absolutely futile? Should we be clear on this from the outset, so as to
> avoid an abominable waste of money and time for all concerned?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Olivier -- member of the UK delegation at the 2012 WCIT
>
> On 03/01/2017 12:31, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> Dear Nigel,
>>
>> Thank you for this information.
>>
>> I think it would be also good to explicitly look at the reasons why so many did choose to not sign the 2012 ITRs, as I think ITU should have as a goal to get a higher number of signatories in the next round and not lower.
>>
>>     Patrik -- member of the Swedish delegation at the 2012 WCIT
>>
>> On 3 Jan 2017, at 12:08, Nigel Hickson wrote:
>>
>>> Colleagues
>>>
>>> Good morning.  As I think was briefly mentioned on last Call, the ITU (pursuant to a decision of the 2014 Plenipotentiary) has established an Expert Group to look at a potential revision to the ITRs adopted in 2012.
>>> An overview is at following link.
>>>
>>> http://www.itu.int/en/council/eg-itrs/Pages/default.aspx
>>>
>>> The​​ Review (on which contributions are called for) will include, among others:
>>>

>>> 1. ​​​​an examination of the 2012 ITRs to determine its applicability in a rapidly evolving international telecommunication environment, taking into account technology, services and existing multilateral and international legal obligations as well as changes in the scope of domestic regulatory regimes;
>>> 2. Legal analyses of the 2012 ITRs;​​
>>> 3.
>>> 4. Analyses of any potential conflicts between the obligations of signatories to the 2012 ITRs and​ signatories to the 1988 ITRs with respect to implementation of the provisions of the 1988 and the 2012 ITRs.
>>>
>>> ICANN is planning to attend the initial meeting which takes place in Geneva on 9/10th February.  Any views ahead of that on the three questions above would be most welcome.  Perhaps we might discuss on a Call in advance.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Nigel

Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights