[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:44:44 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 12:51, matthew shears <mshears at cdt.org> wrote:
>
> Support a call on this.  Perhaps given the interest by so many stakeholders in 2012, the ITU can be encouraged to open the process of review a little - perhaps be open to comments from other stakeholders…

A lot, not a little.   Preparing the WCIT included a 1999-2000 Expert Group, a 2005-2007 Council Working Group, a 2007-2009 Expert Group, and a 2010-2012 Council Working Group, plus many regional meetings.  None of those preparatory processes made their docs available to the public or were webcast, and this contributed to the subsequent politicization of the process and eventual train wreck.  It’d be nice if the need for change was widely recognized by Members who’ve been through the biggest disaster in the history of multilateral communications diplomacy, but there’s ample reasons to expect otherwise, so the case really needs to be made that this would be in their self-interest.   Perhaps some conclusions drawn from the experiences of more open processes would be useful…

It would be really good if ICANN and other multistakeholder types that are allowed to participate in February would strongly raise the procedural concerns.
> Matthew - - a part of the CS stakeholder grouping that participated at the 2012 WCIT
>
> On 03/01/2017 11:45, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
>> Dear Nigel,
>>
>> I agree with Patrik. In fact, should we mention that should any of the
>> ITRs touch on aspect of running the Internet
That’d be a rather tough sell as an opening position, given that a great many governments (including in the OECD region) still believe that the Internet falls under the ITU's definition of telecom, and since the ITU’s already doing a lot of stuff that does “touch on."
>> including the coordination
>> of the Internet identifiers, that's crossing a red line
Drop ‘including’
>> which makes any
>> work, discussion, preparation and funding of such a conference
>> absolutely futile? Should we be clear on this from the outset, so as to
>> avoid an abominable waste of money and time for all concerned?
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>>
>> Olivier -- member of the UK delegation at the 2012 WCIT

Cheers

Bill (for consistency should I say, member of the US WCIT del? :-)

>> On 03/01/2017 12:31, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>>> Dear Nigel,
>>>
>>> Thank you for this information.
>>>
>>> I think it would be also good to explicitly look at the reasons why so many did choose to not sign the 2012 ITRs, as I think ITU should have as a goal to get a higher number of signatories in the next round and not lower.
>>>
>>>    Patrik -- member of the Swedish delegation at the 2012 WCIT

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org