[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:10:07 UTC 2017

along with several others on this list, I was a member of a country delegation and spent a lot of time on the preparatory processes.

Engaging in the regionally distributed preparatory processes is important, and I hope that both companies that are on this list, and countries will understand that while this can be a silo'ed experience, still there is important work to be done to educate, educate, and educate. Most of the government experts who attend the preparatory processes are not necessarily experts in what is happening outside of a small world -- and I do not mean this negatively -- but if you are an ITR expert, you may not even be aware that your country, for instance, is chairing UNESCO.  Or are a member of the CSTD WG EC.  Some are working horizonitally. Many are  not able to do that.

And, the same government might send an expert in legal matters re telecom,that is not engaged at ICANN or CSTD.  In fact, that is often likely.

It will be important for ICANN at all levels to be well engaged and attending all regional preparatory events, as well. And to have the RIRs, and the ccTLDs also actively engaging.

ISOC is a major voice as well, due to their distribution of presence, but we should be also thinking beyond that and asking how to further the interest and awareness even within the ICANN "family". I would assume that any gTLD registry operator would want to be very aware of the risks to their business opportunities in a new ITR world. I know that the earlier players -- Verisign, Afilias, Neustar, of course, "got it", but I see a lot of the new players ignoring the risks to their business models.  Or perhaps assuming that this is someone else's job.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to create more awareness, which might also help to deepen the support at the GNSO for the CCWG-IG itself and its purpose.