[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:04:45 UTC 2017

Hi Judith

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 15:56, Judith Hellerstein <judith at jhellerstein.com> wrote:
>
> HI Bill,
>
> As a result of a decision made in the Busan Plenipotentiary, all documents are now open to the public.

Uh, not quite. Decision 12 of the Final Acts provided for free online access to certain docs, e.g. sector recommendations and reports, main outcome texts of diplomatic conferences etc, but didn't address access to e.g. working documents and ad hoc meetings, study group inputs, etc. So people could see the sausage but not how the sausage was made.

The 2016 Council went further and there’s a new policy effective 1 January that includes input docs.  But it some notable limitations, e.g. it allows participants in ITU processes to designate materials they are submitting to meetings as sensitive and not for public consumption, in which case they are ‘encouraged’ to provide redacted versions for the public.  So governments that want to limit things to club members still can.

I’m not clear on whether the new policy is supposed to be retroactive or only forward looking. In any event, I just spent 15 minutes poking around itu.int and presently most study group inputs etc. still require a TIES account, as does the invitation letter for the ITR expert group meeting in February.

So yes, things are certainly better than they were in the first 150 years, but not wildly so.
> Additionally since this group is open to all, at least all sector members and Government members

That’s a pretty big “at least,” no?  And the process of being ‘validated' through a Designated Focal Point is probably one that a lot of people won’t even try to deal with.
> it should be a more open process than before. The expert group is open to all sector members, which is why ICANN and also ISOC can participate.

Right…but many of us are not staff at either org.

Having an open consultation 3 February prior to a largely closed CCW-Internet meeting is similarly a kind of progress but not a real possibility for meaningful engagement by interested stakeholders.  So in the case of the ITR expert group, my view remains that it’d be good for those who are able to advocate that public should have access to all the docs and the meetings should at least be webcast.

Cheers

Bill