[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

Carlos Raul carlosraulg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:06:51 UTC 2017

Dear Patrik,

as a member of the Costa Rica Government at the time, I can tell you why
the Regulator recommended to our Government NOT to sign as a short story:
the 1988 instrument did reflect the fact that most countries had or where
in the process of privatizing the state-owned monopolies, which had a clear
interconnection (and payment clearing) system, so the new private players
had a chance to set up  their own new private arrangements. The 2012
proposal did not reflect the developments since 1988, in particular the
fact that the BGP between networks did neither reflect national borders nor
the interconnection and payment clearing between the different Tier
operators. The Head of our delegation (Ministry) had made some point on the
Human rights agenda and was tempted to sign, but in the end the Costa Rica
Government took the decision (in real time) NOT to sign the 2012 changes
because they where inconsistent with our national telecom&internet
policies. Guess they still are and my personal impression at the time is
that some Telcos (particularly European ones), saw the opportunity to fight
against some international ISPs, and less the political noise everybody
wants to make out of it. I guess today's telcos are getting closer and
closer to the Internet business and interconnection model (or have acquired
and integrated more internet companies into their conglomerates), and we
have more of the politics part left (human rights, etc.)............

Cheers

*Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez*
+506 8837 7176
Skype carlos.raulg