[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU - EXPERT GROUP ON THE REVISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION REGULATIONS (EG-ITRs)

Mary Uduma mnuduma at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 16:36:12 UTC 2017

All, I am in agreement with Marilyn's analysis.  I was part Nigeria's Delegation at 2012 ITR with a Head of Delegation who had little understanding of tthe IG ecosystem. Nigeria led African countries  to signing the outcome, save for one or two countries. The focus should not be only on the countries  that did not sign but more work on those that signed.
For the African Region, the ATU (African Telecommunications Union) and its leadership should be educated on IG issues. ISOC in the African countries need to be strengthen to engage more with the governments. The ccTLDs should be part of the official delegations to the Preparatory Meetings.
It would be helpful to share  information on the ITR preparatory meetings (if we have the schedule) with the ICANN community and encourage members from GAC, ccNSO, Registry Stakeholder Group as well as ISOC to actively take part at ITU preparatory meetings holding in their Regions. It may also be benefitial if members in  this group collaborate with their ITU Regional offices to propose educational sessions during the preparatory meetings.
Just my thoughts.Mary Uduma