[ccwg-internet-governance] PUBLIC IG SESSION AT COPENHAGEN (ICANN 58)

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Jan 18 05:58:58 UTC 2017

All,

I could probably write 500 pages on the issue of ICANN and the SDGs, but
I will be mercifully brief. I am one of the few development economists
running loose within the ICANN constituencies. I care deeply about the
mission of the Social Development Goals, having worked over half a
century in support of those goals. ICANN DNS policy does impact on the
Internet ecosystem, and context within which the SDGs are pursued.
However, that does not mean that ICANN should venture forth to determine
what ICANN’s role is in achieving the SDGs. ICANN should depend on those
working more closely with the role of the Internet ecosystem in
sustainable development. ICANN should maintain its focus, and remain
open and transparent. At any point where ICANN policy might impact on
SDG progress we can rest assured that those ICT for development
stakeholders will engage ICANN and press for appropriate action. This is
part of what is meant by partnership and cooperation in SDG number 17.
Some of that advice and partnership will come from the entities and
activities listed by Marilyn Cade when she kicked off discussion of this
particular issue.

Sam Lanfranco

/