[ccwg-internet-governance] PUBLIC IG SESSION AT COPENHAGEN (ICANN 58)

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:25:45 UTC 2017

Hi

I would stick with Nigel’s second item, there’s a number of new Internet governance-specific discussions this year that could ultimately have some significance and even touch on ICANN’s piece of the pie — the enhanced cooperation reboot; the ITU, including the pending expert group on revising the International Telecom Regulations (!); the OECD/G20; the Chinese-led efforts; initiatives like the Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace; etc. One could also consider spending a little time thinking about global IG in the age of the ‘new nationalism,’ ‘cybersovereignty’, etc., maybe hear from Trump administration (!), etc.

Best

Bill

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 04:53, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Didn't we agree to stay within ICANN mission in our deliberations and activities at CCWG-IG? Nigel has done that so far brilliantly in his activities and we should continue. Therefore, I recommend not to include SDG into the agenda since it is obviously outside of ICANN mission. Or am I missing something? Are there implications for ICANN?
> I can see the goals here: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld <https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld>
> Are we talking about ending poverty? No, it's Outside of ICANN mission
> protect the planet? Outside of ICANN mission
> Prosperity for human being? Nice goal but that is not what ICANN is here for
> Peace: same
> partnership. same
>
> Or is there another laundry list of these goals which I have overlooked which is  within the mandate and mission of ICANN?
>
> Farzaneh
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com <mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>> wrote:
> I would like to add in the implications of the SDG agenda for ICANN and its community internally, and externally.
>

> Also, and I gently advise: there is NO ITU WSIS meeting, other than the ITU Council WG on WSIS. there is the WSIS Forum, which while heavily organized by the ITU, is a multi IGO forum. I hope to reinforce that message as UNCTAD, UNESCO, and WIPO are co organizers. <OutlookEmoji-😊.png>

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org