[ccwg-internet-governance] IGF Community Public Consultation: Call for Inputs - Taking stock of the 2016 work program and 11th IGF and suggestions for 2017 and 12th IGF - ICANN Response

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:04:45 UTC 2017

Nigel, thanks so much for sharing the ICANN contribution on Taking Stock.

I just wanted to remind all individuals that the Taking Stock Consultation process welcomes individual contributions, but the deadline has already been extended once, so those individuals that participated and want to submit their individual perspectives might want to be aware of that.

My purpose in commenting on the ICANN submission is to thank you for taking seriously the interest of the CCWG-IG to offer comments to the ICANN staff. Of course, in addition to CCWG-IG members who may have attended IGF and offered ICANN staff comments, I realize that ICANN Board members also attended, as did ICANN staff and understand that this submission is a broader reflection.

Nevertheless, I do want to thank you.  And especially for the positive tone of the submission, even as you also very professionally expressed calls for improvements or change.

I  also offer one informational comment about the National and Regional IGF Initiatives, just intended as an FYI to support and thank you for your inclusion of information about the NRIs.    The number has grown from 2015 from approximately 40, to over 75 at the end of 2016, and there are over 15 new NRIs "in formation".

If there is anyone on the CCWG-IG list that is not already engaged in their national [or sub regional or regional IGF], please let me know and I can help with introductions.  The issues that the NRIs take up are both a reflection of the global IGF and also they reflect input into the IGF.

I do offer one question to you: here is a statement that seems to imply that there were fewer government attendees. I am not sure about those facts. I will have to relook at the statistics.

Finally, again, thanks so much for sharing the ICANN submission also into the CSTD/UNCTAD.

Best regards from the CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation, where I know that I will see you, and others from the CCWG-IG.

Marilyn Cade