[ccwg-internet-governance] IGF Community Public Consultation: Call for Inputs - Taking stock of the 2016 work program and 11th IGF and suggestions for 2017 and 12th IGF - ICANN Response

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jan 26 09:15:23 UTC 2017

Dear Nigel,

On 26/01/2017 01:12, farzaneh badii wrote:
> - The Host Country special workshops, and the High Level Event (HLM)
> on Day0 were thought positive; as was the high level social event
> (though see below);
>
> Farzaneh: Does the high level social event mean the closed gala
> dinner?  which was not called the high level social event, it was
> called gala dinner, they made a mistake put it on the agenda and
> everybody thought it was in fact the gala dinner and then found out it
> was by invitation only. And we praised this closed event and said it
> was positive? It was the first IGF with closed gala dinner which was
> disturbing to many members of the community high level or not. I know
> that the report also criticizes this but how can we both praise and
> criticize!

I agree with Farzaneh -- you are sending mixed messages: in this
sentence, you are saying the high level social event was positive, only
to say later that "/Some were confused over mixed message on the “social
event”; also generally thought that best to have no event, or a paid
event, rather than a function only open to VIPs/"

The fact is that amongst the requirements for an IGF, there is the
requirement for a social event - which is the most significant
networking event in the week. The restriction of the event in
Guadalajara to a nomenklatura was a terrible SNAFU from the organisers.
Let's please make sure that doesn't happen in the future -- if the
essence of IGF is a balanced stakeholder model, how can one even accept
a restricted event, in blatant contradiction of IGF rules?

As for the rest of the statement, I completely agree with it. This was
an exceptional IGF, with great sessions. The only other "local" issue
was the minibus shuttles which circulated at very restricted times and
which were fit for dwarves or small children - I have never been in such
small, uncomfortable seats and after 3 trips, I felt such pain that I
used Uber for all further commutes. But that's probably more a local
thing than something that the MAG should worry about.