[ccwg-internet-governance] GNSO council discussion on CCWG-IG future

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 05:52:47 UTC 2017

Hil all,

The GNSO Council discussed in several calls since Copenhagen meeting the
status of CCWG-IG, its structure and if it is the right vehicle for that,
in addition to raising concerns about accountability and reporting
mechanisms.

In Johannesburg meeting, it was decided to move forward and make a decision
regarding the future of GNSO participation. A motion was tabled for the
last GNSO Council call on the 13th July (you can find it here
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+13+July+2017
).
The motion was deferred to the next Council call  (In August) in order to
give more time for the different groups to discuss amendments responding to
raised concerns. They were about the deadline to propose a new structure
(pushing the deadline  to ICANN61 or end of this year instead of ICANN60
which is quite close) and regarding the automatic withdrawal by GNSO.

It is clear to us as a working group is we need to propose a new structure,
different from the current one i.e. CCWW, based on the requirements were
heard in Johannesburg meeting, in particular at our F2F session.  We can
start by compiling those requirements from the discussion we had and
reviewing existing structures used previously to begin our work.

Best,

Rafik

ps please find below the recordings from GNSO council call

Mp3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-council-13jul17-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p5hfunq2kzt/

Adobe chat transcript:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-chat-council-13jul17-en.pdf