[ccwg-internet-governance] Comments from GNSO council about CCWG-IG charter

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 22:15:40 UTC 2017

One point we need to make to the Council is that we felt it was best not to
try to resolve both the structure issue (CCWG vs. something else) and the
function issue (how we do what we do, as set forth in the charter) at the
same time.  In the long run, the plan is to resolve both.  But we made a
conscious choice to begin by trying to resolve the charter issues within
the context of the CCWG framework. In this way, we can have a better
Charter and systems in place while we explore adopting or creating the best
possible structure.  The opposite approach would leave the CWG-IG without
any improvements while it reviewed the structure options.  This did not
seem like the right way to proceed.  The Council should look at our efforts
in this context. Hopefully they will understand and work with us.

Greg

>>> https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-council-18may17-en.pdf  ,