[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Proposals to WTO regarding e-commerce

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:11:18 UTC 2017

This is the kind of external threat I was referencing when I said that I fear that many within ICANN are not aware that cross border transactions can include registry and registrar activities and could affect also other aspects of ICANN's role and that some governments are seeking oversight. While WEOG countries are not of course included, let's understand that the friends who attend the GAC from governments are  not always the final decision makers in their countries but having them  informed and engaged can only help ICANN.

But it is only one example. Jimson and I are part of the CSTD WG EC and there are other proposals. And of course, ITU is holding WTDC shortly with some other interests of oversight of certain aspects.

I would like to propose that the CCWG-IG itself also have a frank update on some of the external activities. I am not proposing that we bombard the community at this point but that we get more up to date and then, perhaps we consider how we do an educational/awareness session for ICANN60.  Just an idea.