[ccwg-internet-governance] ITU CWG INTERNET: OPEN CONSULTATION ON BRIDGING THE DIGITAL GENDER DIVIDE

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 23:44:56 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues

first, can I ask who is subscribed to ge at icann.org? Not objecting to a new group paying attention but seeking always to know to whom I am speaking. 😎

Second: as the IGF2017 happens just before the deadline, perhaps we can also gather relevant information there -- most of the events focused on women are not all about these topics directly,but have relevance: Perhaps we can start with identifying the list of Open forums, Day Zero events, and workshops of relevance as a starting point. I can work with Nigel on this very quickly, but not until I speak tomorrow at AfiCTA/e-Nigeria and bring my plants in from the cold!  [so that means: can work on Friday and Saturday].

Not suggesting that we summarize them, but we could invite the rapporteurs/organizers to submit their reports, which are after all due within 24 hours after their event. IF we help to inform the importance of submitting from each such event, including the Gender Main session, this would be a small but important contribution.

Now, for some facts about what is already happening and whom should already be submitting but again we can just gently encourage:

This is  highly duplicative of work already underway at the UN, and also that has engagement of the ITU itself, so input should be fairly easy. Let me list a few ideas:

1) EQUALS -- a collaboration between UNWomen2), ITU, and many others
2) CSTD has a gender advisory board
3) Several entities, ranging from LIRNEAsia, and APC, IEEE have ongoing engagement of relevance
4) TechWomen [which Omar Mansoor Ansari has launched in Afghanistan] is an example of advancing the role of women as entrepreneurs
5) Code2Change is just launching in Pakistan
6)UNCTAD has a program focused on women entrepreneurs and managers
7)UNESCO is also doing relevant work
8)Microsoft has a major initiative that is also relevant, as does GSMA -- I am sure that other companies do as well, but I just happen to be more familiar with these two...

The IGF NRIs -- where I spend a good deal of time -- may be interested in commenting, and I will share this with the NRI's list to ask.  Time is precious for them, however.