[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] Improving our Planning and Preparation - ICANN - Blog by Göran Marby

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Apr 23 18:55:55 UTC 2018

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[So-ac-sg-cleaders] Improving our Planning and Preparation -
ICANN - Blog by Göran Marby
Date: 	Mon, 23 Apr 2018 18:22:14 +0000
From: 	David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
To: 	so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org <so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org>
CC: 	Susanna Bennett <susanna.wongbennett at gmail.com>

Dear Community Leaders:

https://www.icann.org/news/blog/improving-our-planning-and-preparation

*Improving our Planning and Preparation*

Over the last year, we all have worked hard to understand the European
Commission’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legislation. One
question that has been asked many times is: why didn’t we start the
process earlier? I guess there are many answers to that question, but
one might be lack of awareness. GDPR is, to my understanding, the first
time a local law has an effect on the community’s ability to create
policies, impact the scope of pending policy work, set limits on future
policies, and impact contractual enforcement – but it surely will not be
the last.

ICANN is not a political institution, and there are many things that are
not and should not be in our mission, but we need to be better prepared.
It’s becoming increasingly important that we, as both an org and a
community, pay closer attention to any potential legislative efforts
that may impact ICANN’s mission or operations. After several discussions
with you during ICANN meetings, we decided to assemble a list of
legislative proposals that could have an effect on current policies and
future policy development.

This reporting effort is intended to help us look at how these
legislative initiatives impact ICANN and avoid unintended consequences;
the effort is not focused on how ICANN can inform and impact the
development of any legislation.

Being able to identify any legislative efforts early-on is critical to
ensuring that we’re prepared for any impacts those efforts may have on
issues within ICANN’s remit. It also affords an opportunity for
stakeholders and the community to provide factual information on how the
technology works to avoid unintended consequences of legislative
efforts. But, just as importantly, we’re interested in the ICANN
community’s views and inputs on new legislative and regulatory efforts,
and hearing your thoughts on how those efforts might impact ICANN and
its mission. We can have early, collective discussions on issues such as
how to address potential policy impacts, or how ICANN community
participants – including members of the Governmental Advisory Committee
– might help spread broader understanding of ICANN’s role in the wider
Internet governance ecosystem, or other ideas to inform, educate and
prepare for impacts on the work we undertake to execute our mission.

As ICANN’s President and CEO, part of my remit is ensuring the ICANN org
is ready for any and all challenges that may impact the way we operate
and support the community. To this end, I’ve asked that our Governmental
Engagement (GE) team begin identifying and regularly reporting on
high-impact legislative developments around the world. This is a new
effort, so we may change the format and some other details as we hear
feedback from you. Please review the initial report
<https://www.icann.org/legislative-report>, and let us know your
comments on this blog.

We see this as a joint effort between the ICANN org and the community,
so we want to hear from you regarding any high-impact developments in
the e-privacy and cybersecurity ecosystem that should be tracked in this
report. We encourage you to provide our GE and Global Stakeholder
Engagement (GSE) teams with information on new developments in your
region, or leave comments here on this blog. The aim is to provide
useful information for you. I hope that you appreciate the effort and
look forward to your input if we missed something.

David A. Olive
Senior Vice President

Policy Development Support