[ccwg-internet-governance] Proposed responses to ccNSO questions on the proposed amendments to the CCWG-IG charter

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jul 26 00:40:36 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

now that the dust has settled after ICANN62, is it time to get back our
action items.
Please be so kind to find the summary of our discussions concerning the
proposed responses to ccNSO about the transition from CCWG-IG to
CCEG-IG. Nigel's notes are in blue.

_2. Transition from the CCWG IG to CCEG IG _

_ _/This discussion was essentially on the requirement for adoption of a
new Charter in effect of the Transition./

_ OCL_reported on the questions and comments made by the ccNSO on the
proposed Charter.  He noted that the questions (and proposed answers
from Young-eum Lee) that were discussed at a joint session of the ccNSO
and gNSO earlier in the day.

 Was noted that at the joint session this morning there had been a
positive dialogue on work of CCWG IG with the Chair of gNSO noting that
the on-going study of Charter should be seen as irrespective of the
importance of work of CCWG IG on IG issues

 _OCL_noted (by reference to screen) to the questions posed to Charter
by ccNSO and the draft answers.

My last email, prior to ICANN62, contained a link to the Google Doc that
contains the proposed responses. I have cleaned it up according to the
input already received and invite you to provide further
comments/amendments:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cBWtD3KKAZkxeFBJM_f00TpCTupTPuINxcts8BYq_cg/edit?usp=sharing

 _Marilyn_said important that by changing vehicle we do not lose
importance of continued engagement with Organisation. Especially in
terms of continuation of support staff and resources.  Nigel Hickson
noted there was no change in this regard.

 _Matthew Shears_(Chair of Board WG) noted importance of maintaining
focus of engagement and did not see any need for change in support from
Organisation or Board.

_OCL_said that under new Charter (one of questions) there would be
enhanced reporting from CCEB[1] <#_ftn1>

_Tatiana Tropina_was keen to know the timeline for securing final
agreement on Charter, could CCWG come up with time line.

May I propose the following timeline:

 1. Finalisation of the answers to ccNSO questions (today until Friday
    3rd August 2018)
 2. Young-Eum Lee (co-chair) to follow-up with ccNSO once finalisation
    complete
 3. Once the ccNSO has discussed the responses, and if it satisfied by
    them, Young Eum Lee will inform the CCEG IG of any suggested
    amendments to the Charter
 4. Once the amendments are incorporated, Tatiana Tropina will be able
    to inform the GNSO of this stage being reached. (if is my
    understanding that the GNSO and ccNSO wish to discuss the CCEG
    together prior to committing to it)
 5. Once the discussion has taken place we will wait for feedback from
    ccNSO & GNSO concerning the charter amendments that might be necessary
 6. The Barcelona meeting (ICANN63) takes place from 20-25 October. We
    should aim to get a final version of the Charter ready and sent to
    SOs/ACs by 28 September 2018

_OCL_noted that all SO/AC had been sent the Charter; so indeed, welcomed
feedback in good time to effect change by ICANN63.  Was noted that
within gNSO the constituencies will look at revised Charter (post ccNSO
suggested changes).

 _Marilyn_said at CSG we will look at comments from their three
constituencies.

In which case, the CSG will need to comment at Stage 4 above.

 _Young-eum Lee_said one useful clarification was the non-binding
decisions on SO/AC of any position adopted by CCEB.

 _Greg Shatan_thanked Tatiana for work on Charter; agreed need for rigid
time line and for some applied project management on this.

 _OCL_confirmed that we would do all that was possible to wrap this
whole process up by Barcelona.

_Matthew_concurred in this. Noted CCEB had substantive work to do;
looking at strategic policy on IG issues.

As a result, we have some process work to get through with. Again,
please comment on the answers to ccNSO as soon as possible. Once we get
the ball rolling with ccNSO let us hope that we receive prompt
feedback/amendments on the Charter itself.