[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG IG Public Session at ICANN61 (was: Re: CCWG-IG call of Friday, March 2)

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Mar 2 23:49:15 UTC 2018

Dear all,

we have created a WIKI page for the agenda of the CCWG IG Public Session
and discussed it during today's call. Starting with an agenda that was
going through details of what was happening in each group like ITU,
CSTD, etc. we turned the tables over and used a starting point of
"challenges" to ICANN's ecosystem.
Participants in today's call found several challenges at several levels
that are now listed on the agenda page https://community.icann.org/x/zCC8B

Namely:

 1. distribution of IP address blocks (ITU - WTSA / Plenipot)
 2. coordination of top level domains (ITU - WTSA allowing study groups
    on the nature of top level domains - what is allowed and what is not
    allowed.)
     1. Also WTO e-commerce agenda
 3. part of a larger issue
     1. Tension between multi-lateral & multi-stakeholder fora.
         1. How do government stakeholders interact in ICANN and outside
            ICANN for example - geographical names @ top level
         2. WIPO; Collapse of the Enhanced Cooperation at CSTD; ITU WTDC
            is seeing the same discussions.
     2. How ICANN interacts with other organisations
         1. Eg. GSM Association MoU; Laws on Data Protection affect
            ICANN / ie. GDPR issue - through WHOIS has put Internet
            Governance right in the middle. Has ICANN failed to respect
            European Privacy Law?
     3. Challenge is the lack of sustained engagement.
         1. Laws on Cyber Security have been defined as Internet
            Governance by WSIS
         2. United Nations processes

Also: there were no suggestions on the call for other speakers than the
ones currently listed. I know it's hard to speak about panellists in a
public, recorded, transcribed environment and the same is true for this
mailing list, thus if you have suggestions of additions/deletions please
email them directly to the co-chairs of this WG CC'ing Nigel.

Many thanks,

Olivier