[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG session going on now

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Mar 20 00:22:03 UTC 2018

Dear Marilyn,

please find my comments interspersed in your text:

On 19/03/2018 21:04, Marilyn Cade wrote:

> The WSIS Forum is a sort of strange setting, and we were somewhat
> challenged on being on Day 1 as for instance although Joanna was
> invited, she was traveling, so we missed her in person. She was so
> great to do the PP and the audio track, and we will post both to the
> website, so she speaks in her own words.[Thanks, Joanna!] and also
> Tatiana, for being with us remotely which is never much fun, but it
> seemed to work well logistically, even if we missed some dynamics.

One can always improve sessions, but considering the only "cost" of the
session for ICANN was Nigel's presence in the room, which he needs to
cover anyway, I'd say this was a win-win for ICANN. I very much enjoyed
the discussion and recommend that others watch/listen to the recording,
even though the video was pretty terrible.

> However, still, we had somewhere between 25-30 attendees, and in the
> audience several who told us later:
>
> -never attended ICANN
>
> -first WSIS Forum
>
> -one who thinks the ITU is the answer and should take over ICANN and
> IGF and "oversee" any IG discussions at WIPO, UNESCO, UNCTAD.

That is great.

> Most of the attendees in the room are not indeed "usual suspects",. so
> they don't use the remote connection if they are attending.

That is great news. I always fear that at these fora, we have a tendency
to speak to ourselves. So this was a successful session, and perhaps
will we see more of the same, with people engaging in ICANN in their
respective roles, with a more positive outlook than had the workshop not
taken place.

> I was not able to focus on the stream, or the remote connect and also
> chair the meeting, so apologies if I missed some comments that could
> have been incorporated into the discussion.

I just added a couple of responses about the ccNSO's Framework of
Interpretation, in response to one of the questions (about .NA). It's
current news.

> However, I am curious and need to understand the reference to "usual
> suspects".
>

> I am not sure that I see that Tatiana and Joanna are usual suspects as
> speakers, nor Anja Gengo, nor Torbjorn/UNTAD, or Xianhong Hu from
> UNESCO, or Preetam, ITU.

On the contrary, I felt that this was a very innovative panel, with
people I wasn't used to hear/watch.
Congratulations to all!