[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG call of Friday, May 23: WIPO PROPOSAL

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Thu May 24 14:33:27 UTC 2018

Colleagues

Good afternoon, during the Call yesterday, in the agenda item on IG issues, the work of the WIPO was mentioned in relation to Geographical Names and Geographical Indications.

Was noted that a proposal had been made to the WIPO SCT Committee (which ICANN attends) on “PROTECTION OF COUNTRY NAMES AND GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES OF NATIONAL SIGNIFICANCE”; it can be found at http://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/sct/en/sct_39/sct_39_8_rev_2.pdf. Page 2 references names under the DNS.

Discussion on this Proposal may well continue at the next SCT Session later in the year.