[ccwg-internet-governance] Scheduling meetings at ICANN63

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 05:20:11 UTC 2018

Hi

I would like to know who is on the first panel. and I would like to see a
description that can attract those who are not automatically attracted to
this session and whom we need to convince not the already convinced.

"This Session will take a high-level look (and have an equally high-level
discussion) on external Internet policy issues potentially affecting ICANN,
whether at UN, ITU or at WIPO. Will also hear more about the High-Level UN
Panel on Digital Cooperation and the forthcoming 2018 IGF."

Please name some of these external policy issues that can "potentially"
affect ICANN. Because saying whether at the UN, ITU or at WIPO is too
broad. and we have the high-level panel on digital cooperation? This panel
was convened recently and frankly, I don't see its relevance.

And I'd like to know your list of speakers. The fate of this group will
remain uncertain if we don't change our approach. Have we ever invited
David Kaye to talk about UN, online freedom of speech and ICANN? Have we
ever invited the UNGGE chair to tell us whether or not their efforts would
have affected ICANN? (well they are done now but yeah). Then there are
digital trade agreements and WTO. What are the developments there? Could it
potentially affect ICANN? No? then lets not talk about it! If yes, lets
talk about it!

We have to talk about issues and groups that are more likely to
make binding decisions through treaties etc that affect ICANN and its
stakeholders' policy development. High level panels won't have any effect.
Even a good analysis of NTIA call for comments would be more eye-opening.

I think we really have to be issue specific instead of venue specific. I
see ITU in the description. ITU is still functioning?

Are we gonna talk about data localization its potential effect on DNS and
IGOs activities with that regard?

Also I would like to hear from Nigel and other ICANN staff members about
their participation in these UN/international forums. Is Veni around? What
is happening up in UN New York Veni? Anything ICANN related?

I am so glad not to see enhanced cooperation on this agenda!

And for the F2F, Stay tuned I am coming back with my questions.

Farzaneh