[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [Igfregionals] Fwd: EC HLIG meeting report

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:40:48 UTC 2018

Hi James

One could argue that the broadening you suggest is already happening.  For years the IGF has had workshops that were not really on IG per se (a matter of cooperation, institutions & rules of the road) but rather on miscellaneous “Internet issues” and more broadly “ICT issues,” and this year’s IGF seems to tilt further in this direction than ever before, not so much real IG as e.g. Farzaneh has noted here.  Substituting the word “digital issues” for “Internet issues” and “ICT issues” might not amount to much of a change.  But for those of us who’ve been concerned from the outset to keep the focus bounded on IG and dig deeper, it’s not an especially welcome trend.

I guess it depends on one’s priorities.  But the WSIS debates that led to proposing the IGF to calm the waters a bit and save the summit were about the architecture and control of cooperation, institutions & rules, and there’s still a lot of challenges in that space.

Cheers

Bill

william.drake at uzh.ch (direct), wjdrake at gmail.com (lists)
www.williamdrake.org