[ccwg-internet-governance] Action Items re: Organisation of an IGF Workshop (was: Re: CCWG-IG call of Thursday, March 28)

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Apr 15 10:12:13 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

this is to let you know that due to not having a consensus on the topic
of submitting a proposal for an IGF Workshop, we have ended up not
submitting a workshop proposal for IGF. I agree with Keith's and Julf's
concerns that we have left this too late to have a polished proposal
that gains consensus.

Whilst I agree that we need to address workshop proposals at an earlier
stage in order to obtain more buy-in from the different parts of ICANN,
the late stage discussions are mostly caused by participants not paying
attention to a topic until we are in the final deadline stage. With all
of the other priorities that we have, this is somehow normal.

That said, I would like to kindly ask you that in the future, we address
deadlines earlier than just a week before the deadline is due.

Coming back to the current workshop topic proposal, last week I got in
touch with SSAC and RSSAC leadership and neither appeared to be keen to
be involved - possibly because none of their participants are currently
planning to attend the IGF.

The next paragraph I make in my personal capacity:
With ICANN pulling back from supporting members of the Community in
attending the Global IGF and indeed many other events, volunteers
increasingly appear simply not able to self-fund activities that they
would undertake pro-bono to help with ICANN's image and explaining
ICANN's message. The lack of understanding of some parts of our
community, that coordinated engagement with these Global events outside
of the ICANN bubble is very important indeed, is an ongoing concern for
me. ICANN risks becoming an obscure, closed community with its own
processes and own language, erecting walls for participation and
rendering itself, like all closed communities, eventually obsolete.

Chair hat back on:
Not participating at the IGF is not the end of the world and this group
has a lot of work on its plate. We need to prepare for our F2F meeting
with the Board Working Group on Internet Governance at the Marrakesh
meeting. Please suggest topics for our discussions then. As a kind
reminder, the Marrakesh meeting being a shorter, 4-day policy forum, we
have only had traditionally one face to face meeting and have skipped
the Public Meeting. There simply is no available slot in the very tight
schedule.