[ccwg-internet-governance] Proposing a non-charter for the group

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Aug 3 15:06:45 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

on this forthcoming Tuesday's call, we'll have some time set aside to
re-define the "Charter" of the CCEG based on the results of the
discussions that were held at our last meeting in Marrakesh.
First, it is a "non-Charter" - as we had decided that this group was not
going to be Chartered. If you have a proposal for a less ambiguous term,
please don't hesitate to make it. I do feel like some document is needed
to define the group as it will help in focussing our information
exchange, so this is my first stab at it.
What I have done is to take the CCEG Charter and strip it of any mention
of chartering. I also removed the allusion to "member" as this should be
an open group, thus everyone will be either participants or observers,
as they choose to be. A few other things have been removed as well, such
as finding consensus and making decisions - as this is what we have
received most objections about. And of course any mention of CCEG has
been replaced with another funky acronym, the Internet Governance
Engagement Group - IGEG - which my French ears tell me sounds better
than EGIG - you might disagree.
Anyway, here's the document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G8GMxFGnMzk92o6BSIqka6irT_GPv2c3hCHi09Bu7LY/edit?usp=sharing

Please comment,