[ccwg-internet-governance] Proposing a non-charter for the group

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Aug 5 16:26:57 UTC 2019

Olivier,

Diversity is essential to ecosystem survival. The ICANN ecosystem
tolerated a non-chartered "working party" around human rights. We have
all learned to consume "zero-draft" versions of preliminary documents.
Non-Charter is better than zero-Charter, and null-Charter or nil-charter
would certainly not work.

Regrets for tomorrow's meeting. I will be in transit.

Sam Lanfranco, NPOC

>> On 3 Aug 2019, at 17:06, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com
>> <mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> on this forthcoming Tuesday's call, we'll have some time set aside to
>> re-define the "Charter" of the CCEG based on the results of the
>> discussions that were held at our last meeting in Marrakesh.
>> First, it is a "non-Charter" - as we had decided that this group was
>> not going to be Chartered. If you have a proposal for a less
>> ambiguous term, please don't hesitate to make it. I do feel like some
>> document is needed to define the group as it will help in focussing
>> our information exchange, so this is my first stab at it.
>> What I have done is to take the CCEG Charter and strip it of any
>> mention of chartering. I also removed the allusion to "member" as
>> this should be an open group, thus everyone will be either
>> participants or observers, as they choose to be. A few other things
>> have been removed as well, such as finding consensus and making
>> decisions - as this is what we have received most objections about.
>> And of course any mention of CCEG has been replaced with another
>> funky acronym, the Internet Governance Engagement Group - IGEG -
>> which my French ears tell me sounds better than EGIG - you might
>> disagree.
>> Anyway, here's the document:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G8GMxFGnMzk92o6BSIqka6irT_GPv2c3hCHi09Bu7LY/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> Please comment,
>>
>> Olivier

>> delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honored in an
  unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852