[ccwg-internet-governance] Proposing a non-charter for the group

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Mon Aug 5 20:45:49 UTC 2019

Marilyn

Good evening. Thanks for feedback.

We work closely with UNESCO and (as you know) with UNCTAD/CSTD.  Will be happy to circulate relevant documents as they emerge.

The UN CSTD Intersessional will be held in Geneva from 7-8 November.  The documents will be shown (in due course) at https://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=2232

From: ccwg-internet-governance <ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 5 August 2019 at 19:08
To: Sam Lanfranco <sam at lanfranco.net>, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
Cc: ccwg <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] Proposing a non-charter for the group

I will do my best to be on at least part of this call, but I have other responsibilities re the CCWG-AP.

First, let me commend the ICANN staff for sharing the ITU document about the WTPF. The ITU continues to overstep its core boundaries, and all of us need to be reminding other UN agencies -- and I mean, ICANN Org needs to do this as well as the ICANN stakeholder community -- that when they are the "owner or a primary" they need to step up to the ITU and while recognizing it is "one" player it is not the sole player.

ICANN Org -- and I am going to be very frank here -- seems to think that by spending time with the ITU, they are creating friends and family, because some do come from these founding. WE must insist that ICANN Org get outside its comfort zone and make the CSTD, the UNCTAD, the UNESCO, and UNDP are our best friends.

Ignoring their role means that the ITU staff who mean very well, work ONLY with the regulators, or the Ministries of Comms/IT, but we all understand that achieving the SDGs means: engaging Ministries of Health, development, agriculture, finance... and Youth...

I'd like to see the similar documents from the other major UN agencies shared with this group, please.

Marilyn Cade