[ccwg-internet-governance] Proposing a non-charter for the group

Lori Schulman lschulman at inta.org
Tue Aug 6 14:15:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

I agree that Non-Charter or Operating Procedures describes this document best.  I have also taken the liberty of suggesting some drafting to the preamble and some of the following language by replacing words like “threats” with “challenges” and other softer language. My thoughts are that without these changes, the document reads defensive, almost angry and that is not the position that ICANN should be transmitting.  This is about positive engagement in areas where the multi-stakeholder model is either not being used nor ICANN’s processes considered in policy debates.  I think that is different than “threats” to the mission.  It is about what “impacts”  the mission.   The hodgepodge known as internet governance is unwieldy at best and I recommend that our documents convey the message is that active engagement enhances or strengthens the mission rather than threaten or undermine it.

Looking forward to the conversation.

Lori

Lori S. Schulman
Senior Director, Internet Policy
International Trademark Association (INTA)
+1-202-704-0408, Skype: lsschulman