[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [NRIs List] FW: [IGFmaglist] Call for Feedback to the High-Level Panel on ‎Digital Cooperation Report's Recommendation 5 and the IGF Plus Model

Yeseul Kim borisu0815 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 07:14:58 UTC 2019

Dear all

Regarding the input into UN HLPDC Reports from APAC region, APrIGF and
APSIG circulated the info inside the circle but did not open its own
regional official input process just like EuroDIG is doing now. APrIGF
secretariat must be working with the final APrIGF synthesis document right
now but there was no mention on the UN HLPDC on the document either.

In addition to this, I wonder whether counter-terrorism efforts can also be
within the interest of CCWG IG.

Although I acknowledge that ICANN sticks to the 'technical' aspects of the
Internet and thus usually do not let itself too much engaged in the content
regulation, etc, Cloudflare, which is also the 'technical' company,
recently terminated contracts with 8chan because of the website's alleged
involvement in El Paso shooting. And this is the second time for Cloudflare
to terminate their contract with any website because of their terrorist
contents. The first one was with the Daily Stormer which is still online -
I do personally think 8chan will also still be there.

So I wish we can review what's happening regarding this topic so that ICANN
can also make any timely statements on this if they are needed. As
counter-terrorism online is not only the interest of Cloudflare or a small
number of tech companies but also within the realm of UN interest and other
Internet Forum's interest as well. EC also recently released a proposal for
a regulation on preventing the dissemination of terrorist content online.
<https://eucrim.eu/articles/commission-proposal-regulation-preventing-dissemination-terrorist-content-online/>
think it won't hurt ICANN to be aware of what's happening regarding the
topic, although I do believe that most of ICANN members are well aware of
this movement.

Below are the links to the public statements made by Matthew Prince the CEO
of Cloudflare and Global Internet Forum on Counter-Terrorism, which was
launched in 2017 as a coalition of tech groups such as Facebook, Microsoft,
Twitter, etc.

1. Cloudflare's stance on extremists online
https://new.blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-terminated-daily-stormer/
https://new.blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

2. Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism
https://www.gifct.org/

 Best,
 Yeseul Kim