[ccwg-internet-governance] Invitation to NRI launch

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Thu Dec 19 09:29:09 UTC 2019

Olivier cc as above

Good morning.  Further to your mail below, I can report that I attended part of this presentation (in Geneva) yesterday of the 2019 Network Readiness Index.  Previous to this year this was an exercise carried out by WEF (in conjunction with ITU) but now it is being taken forward by WITSA (The World Information Technology and Services Alliance), Bruno Lanvin (from INSEAD) and Portulans Institute.  The data set mainly is derived from ITU and other published sources.

The full Report is at https://networkreadinessindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/The-Network-Readiness-Index-2019_Full_draft-V2.pdfwhile background and a Summary is found at https://networkreadinessindex.org/.

The Report ranks 121 different economies (across all our regions) looking at many different aspects of ICT readiness including governance.  Some of the discussion around the results were reminiscent of the exercise ICANN carried out back in 2014 on e-readiness and e-friction across different countries (https://www.bcg.com/publications/2014/technology-industries-public-sector-greasing-wheels-internet-economy.aspx).

Re your comment on WITSA, agree there are too many acronyms, but WITSA has been around a long time. I was on their Committee in a former life (when working at UK CBI).