[ccwg-internet-governance] UN to form cybercrime committee in move opposed by US, EU

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun Dec 29 16:20:38 UTC 2019

You can find more information at the UN:

Document A/C.3/74/L.11/Rev.1 (note that link from 74th session document page is wrong):

<https://undocs.org/A/C.3/74/L.11/Rev.1>

Votes:

<https://www.un.org/en/ga/third/74/docs/voting_sheets/A.C3.74.L.11.Rev.1.pdf>

> 2. Decides to establish an open-ended ad hoc intergovernmental committee of experts, representative of all regions, to elaborate a comprehensive international convention on countering the use of information and communications technologies for criminal purposes, taking into full consideration existing international instruments and efforts at the national, regional and international levels on combating the use of information and communications technologies for criminal purposes, in particular the work and outcomes of the open-ended intergovernmental Expert Group to Conduct a Comprehensive Study of Cybercrime;
>
> 3. Also decides that the ad hoc committee shall convene a three-day
> organizational session in August 2020, in New York, in order to agree on an outline and modalities for its further activities, to be submitted to the General Assembly at its seventy-fifth session for its consideration and approval;

Personally I agree with various voices that say it is sad this is decided as (a) there is a group in the UN already looking into cyber security and (b) we already have the CoE Budapest Convention on Cybercrime which we should build upon.

Yes, we know the opposition to the Budapest Convention from Russia that main arguments seems to be (1) that they did not participate in creating it and (2) the convention specifically talks about MLATs which Russia do not like.

   Patrik